Who are the Abusers?
THE SUGGESTION OF A DIRTY OLD MAN IS INACCURATE AND THE ABUSER IS INVARIABLY NOT A STRANGER
An “opportunist” stranger will probably abuse a child once, and perhaps continue to abuse other children. This type of abuser has severe sexual problems. Some are shocked by their actions of impulse and consequently severely harm the child. Approximately 1% of sexual abusers are in this category.
FACT: Only 2% of child sex abusers are diagnosed with mental health problems. What does that say about the other 98%?
People who abuse often choose to work with young people. Paedophiles are attracted to places, professions and activities, which allow them access to children. They may act alone or in groups, and can hold respected and powerful positions in the community.
The majority of abuse is someone trusted by the child and family. They often come across as “kind and respectable people” warm and approachable enabling them to get close to the child.
A common remark, “He is so good with children” Or “Children seek his company and love to be around him”.
THIS APPROACH REQUIRES A GREAT DEAL OF EFFORT ON THE PART OF THE ABUSER AND IS CALLED “GROOMING.”
FEMALE SEX OFFENDERS
“Women don’t do such things?” – Yes they do!
In a cohort researched survey regarding 111 female sex offenders 77% had abused children and almost two thirds of the women had co offended with a male co offender.
Their backgrounds are on average problematic with sexual abuse being prominent at 31%, mental disorders were also prominent at 59%.
Using their analysis researchers distinguished there are 4 prototypical offender types.
The study identified the young assaulter and the rapist who are relatively young solo offenders. Two further prototypes are, the psychologically disturbed co-offender and the passive mother and the older women. They mostly abused their own children together with their male/intimate partner.
The re-offending rate of female child sex offenders is extremely low and significantly lower than that of male sexual offenders.